I have a great pile of basil growing in my garden at present, in fact, most of the time because let’s face it basil is prolific! I love that it self seeds and always gives me a bountiful crop. When the wind is blowing in the right direction we can smell the basil at our dining room table as well as the rosemary, a clever placement of plants which was definitely serendipitous not planned.
Basil pesto is one of those favourite gifts I make when I have an abundance in the garden. Great on pasta and as a spread on a gourmet sandwich stuffed with roasted vegetables, it’s a much loved condiment in our house that’s for sure. But it wasn’t until recently that I learnt about the health benefits associated with eating basil, so I thought I would share these with you on this short video, taken in my garden, right next to (you guessed it) my crop circle full of basil. Take a look!
For those of you who would rather read than watch, here are the top 12 Health Benefits of Basil:
- Contains disease fighting antioxidants which fight free radicals and fights oxidation that slows down the effects of ageing, and you gotta love that!
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Fights cancer because it contains phytochemicals that can cause the death of harmful cells
- Contains antibacterial properties
- Contains antimicrobial properties that fight viruses and infections
- Combats stress
- Fights depression by stimulating the nanotransmitters that regulate the hormones responsible for happiness
- Promotes cardiovascular health
- Supports liver function and helps detoxify the body
- Helps alkalise the body and improve bigestion
- Can act as a natural aphrodisiac, apparently the aroma is believed to increase libido!
- Helps protect from diabetes. Helps lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels
Well, if they aren’t enough reasons to make you get out and plant some basil, then did I mention pesto, who doesn’t love pesto!
In the mean time check out some more of my other Gardening Videos on Youtube.
Until next time,